culture crash

I am an Indonesian, currently I'm living in both Germany and Italy for my study. I like to observe people and cultures. This is a very interesting phase in my life; that I have the chance to observe both Italian and German cultures with my Indonesian point of view. Here I scribbled everything interesting that I found.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Moving in

Last week I met my close friend, an ex-roommate, after a year. We chatted for only around 30min since she needed to go back to her hometown that day but it was nice. She updated her current situation, her father had a new business, she let her dad use her car, and..
next year she'll move in with her boyfriend!

Ok..she got me off guard there...

what do I supposed to say on such moment?
"Complimente!"?

She looked so excited about the plan so I guess that should have been a good response.
But, yet, I can't.

I mean...hello, in Indonesia you must get married first before you move in with your lover. It's a big big big sin (although maybe not seen as that severe anymore considering all recent extramarrital scandals). And anyway, even if you don't care about religion you better just do that unless you really really don't care about everything around you.

So, my first reaction that came in mind is, "What?are you going to get married this year?" :D
But, I realized then that might be improper...
also when I considered her all happy, brightened face.
So, I just made an "Oh" sound with a surprised-and-(tried-to-look)-excited-(too) look on my face.
But...really,..what should I have said?

4 Comments:

Blogger Ismail Habib said...

Shame on you!

Try again next year!

It's not too late to change your decision...

OMG...!!

(I guess I'm not the nice-friend type of person :P)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Credo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Credo said...

What about saying, "What?! Your boyfriend can't afford an apartement on his own?" :p

11:38 AM  
Blogger lite said...

Awww, commentsss! My, that's my first comments ever! ;D Thank you, thank you, thank you soo very much, habs, ndi!
I'm honored just to know you had spent at least few secs reading my writing :') [well, actually a bit ashamed too: i'm such a lousy writer^^]

@ habsq : hehehehe, on the contrary I think you are a very nice-friend type of person. Otherwise I won't let Linds marry u :p

@ credo : =)) nice idea there! I should've called u for ur advice that time :D

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home