culture crash

I am an Indonesian, currently I'm living in both Germany and Italy for my study. I like to observe people and cultures. This is a very interesting phase in my life; that I have the chance to observe both Italian and German cultures with my Indonesian point of view. Here I scribbled everything interesting that I found.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Similar foods in different hemispheres

A brazilian friend arriving back here after a short vacation in Brazil brought some sweets called cocada with her. Upon her explanation that it consists of grated coconut with sugar, I suspected already that it sounds like something Indonesians might have.

But upon tasting it, i could confirm it with 100% certainty that: it's geplak :D

It's just that geplak usually comes with less uniform shape, and also super colourful :P

It's funny how far apart Indonesia and Brazil are, yet, with the same ingredients growing in our area, we are bound to have similar foods.

I remember too now that I didn't like geplak. It's too sweet for my taste.
But, now, tasting this cocada, I wish I could taste geplak instead...

Home sweet home.


2 Comments:

Blogger Ismail Habib said...

I think I'm going to love cocada...

7:31 PM  
Blogger lite said...

Hahaha, yeah, now I remember, you liked geplak it seems, habs? Try to search cocada there for substitute then maybe? xD

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home